Thursday, July 07, 2005

Just a second

This clock includes astrological signs tooAn extra second will be added to the year 2005 to make up for the slowing down of the Earth’s rotation. This second is called a ‘Leap Second’ and it is the first one to be added since 1998. One of the culprits behind Earth’s unpredictable (to an extent) rotation is our moon because the tidal force exerted by the moon affects the rotation of our planet.
The first Leap Second was added in 1972 as the technology was developed for accurate time-keeping and between the years 1972 and 1983, a second was added every year. The clock on Dec. 31st this year will read 23h 59m 59s ... 23h 59m 60s ... 00h 00m 00s. Normally, the seconds would roll from 59 directly to 00. So just wait a second longer before you wish everyone a happy new year.

(The picture is of a very old astrological clock from Prague.)

9 Comments:

Blogger Nanette Richards said...

You come up with the craziest stuff... I know I say that all the time, but I often ask myself: if I didn't come to your blog to get it, how would I ever know? :)

July 07, 2005 9:56 AM  
Blogger Ajay Shroff said...

I aim to please :)

July 07, 2005 9:57 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

Are you making this stuff up? :)

At least I'll have etra time time added to my life. That's a bonus.

July 07, 2005 11:36 AM  
Blogger Ajay Shroff said...

I wish i was making this stuff up. It would mean I have the imagination to write up another Lord of the Rings..lol

July 07, 2005 12:25 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I remember hearing of this years ago. Thanks for the update (no pun intended).

July 07, 2005 4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site - your gf recommeded. I'm blogrolling you.

July 07, 2005 9:03 PM  
Blogger Ajay Shroff said...

Thanks Sarah, I am adding you as well.

July 08, 2005 6:40 AM  
Blogger URJIT said...

well then i think that the extra second wont be added, sorry to hear although, but i had also posted a similar post on my blog but some enlightened soul informed me that it wont be added according to this link:

http://www.hfxnews.com/index.cfm?sid=129&sc=5

you have an excellent blog here, which very few indians are really writing at all, i am adding you with bloglinker.

-urjit singh bhatia,India

July 09, 2005 3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I getting the extra second or not? Please, I've gotta make plans.

July 11, 2005 2:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home